Sunday 16 October 2016

THE REASON I INVEST IN MYSELF

“Investing in yourself is the best investment you will ever make. it will not only improve your life, it will improve the lives of all those around you.” - Robin S. Sharma
I got into a big personal-growth kick a few years ago. Motivational speeches on YouTube, audiobooks, working out, eating healthy, you name it. Overall, I was trying to form better habits than I'd had in the past.
I'll admit it, I was the guy who joined a gym, got in decent shape, and decided I could make a career out of it. I was posting regularly to social media "progress pictures" as well as the cheesy motivational quotes daily. I was driving to campus while listening to Jim Rohn speeches on YouTube to get me motivated for the day. I was investing in myself a lot. I even took a personal training course over the summer.
However, things started to get tough. I got discouraged. I was separating myself from anyone or anything that didn't fit the quality of life I was pursuing. I wanted better habits for myself, but was in turn driving away people because they didn't necessarily share the same outlook.
It wasn't that I thought I was better than anyone else, because it's not in my nature to think that way. I was never the cocky, over-confident type. It was just hard for me to comprehend not thinking the way I was thinking at the time. I wanted to share how I was feeling with everyone, because I was feeling better than ever before.
Eventually, it kind of dwindled. I was still going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week, but I didn't talk much about it and I definitely wasn't showing off my progress through social media. I got discouraged because I felt like I was separating myself from virtually everyone just to better myself.
I'm telling you all of this as a bad example of what it means to invest in yourself. You don't have to shut out everything, lock yourself in a room, and read rather than watch television every single night. You don't have to say no every time someone asks you to get together.
The words "invest in yourself" have this eerie sound to some. They believe they have to completely change their lifestyle in order to have a better life, which is exactly what I was experiencing. I was trying to change everything at once and eventually burned myself out.
There are so many different ways to invest in yourself. The point of investing in yourself is truly just doing something that is going to benefit you, your future, and those around you. 
No matter who you are, what your job title is, or what your current situation is, it's important to continue to invest in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment